Handkerchief project: Abbey Road
The images for the print came from a black and white image of the iconic Abbey Road picture. This was inverted so black became white and vice versa using Lumi’s special iphone app. I printed these onto transparent acetate sheets, using my inkjet printer. I actually printed them out twice and stapled them together so the black was blacker, to give the final print more contrast. I then cut out each square so it contained each Beatle separately.
I decided a diagonal design would look most effective. I used masking tape to mark out the shape, so that the borders would come out clean once the dye was applied. Orange always represents the 60s and 70s for me, so I chose that colour Inkodye.
I applied the Inkodye in a darkened room, you can see the dye is very light, almost transparent when it is first applied. I fixed the negatives on while skill in the dark, then placed it in the sunlight. You can see the dye quickly develops into a rich orange once exposed to the sunlight. I left it out for about 20 minutes so that the colour became as dark as possible, because it always gets lighter in the washing machine.
Once the color was fully saturated I took the prints back to the dark, removed the negatives and quickly put them into the washing machine, with some Inkodye detergent. You can see the final product drying in the last picture.
I hadn’t planned for the image to be as blurry as it came out, I think this happened because I placed the hanky on plastic backing while applying the dye which made it spread a bit, making the edges of the print less defined. But once finished I liked the effect. The image is so iconic you can make out what it is supposed to be, but without it being too obvious.